Donald Fagen Is Back....Really



 A lot of my work is pre digital so I have to track it down sometimes by buying old magazines. I ordered a copy of GQ's June 1993 issue this morning to get a copy of my story "Donald Fagen Is Back....Really" about the release of Donald Fagen's "Kamakiriad", this folow up to "The Nightfly", and the subsequent 1993 reunion of the band Steely Dan. I spent some time at River Sound in New York City with Donald Fagen and Walter Becker on New York City's Upper East Side and broke the story of the reunion. My old friend Drew Zingg, my bandmate in The Ineffable Blanket in grade school, became lead guitarist and musical director for the band in that 1993 reincarnation. Here is the cover of the magazine. Tracking this down reminds me of the time I could not afford to buy a copy on the newsstand of my own story on ACLU founder Roger Baldwin in 1981. I wanted to prove to my parents I had been published. The credit line on that story read: "Peter G. Donald is a freelance writer based in New York City. " The writer Stuart Harding Mickle, one of my best friends, alterered that for me,  saying: "Peter G. Donald is a freebased writer based in New York City."

Comments

Popular Posts